Saturday 1 October 2011

Dresses: The Ultimate One-sy.

I’d always wanted to be a dress wearer.  But I sure wasn’t. In fact I quite clearly remember my sister saying to me in high-school “Kathryn… you don’t really have a style, do you?”.

Anonymous Sister,
I’d just like too remind you about the checked happy-dack/striped skivvy phase of Grade 1. And don’t forget the purple clown-suit I wore to school in Grade 2 (note: a mouse running up your sleeve is no joking matter when you’re wearing a one-sy). And lets not forget my Alex Mac inspired hat/overalls combinations of Year 7.

So my theory when I started at Uni, was that if I turned up on the first day wearing a dress, people would think that I wore dresses all the time, and not make a big deal out of it. I still like this as a theory. Imagine if my theory had been ‘if I turn up on the first day wearing a raccoon hat…’. It’s a solid theory that works not just for dresses. It also works for accents.

So I bought a dress and wore it on my first day of Uni, feeling very self-conscious and feeling certain that everyone was caring deeply (and knowing now that they absolutely weren’t). But I definitely felt great, and have loved dresses ever since. To the point where now I’m getting ready to move house, single-hanging wardrobe space is a genuine and deal-breaking issue.

Some reasons I love dresses are as follows:
1.      They are a whole outfit.
2.      You can wear no pants, and it’s totally acceptable.
3.      They come in a range of styles, many of which are flattering for people of the large-hipped variety (I have heard). Not like pants, which generally seem made for someone without any kind of upper leg.
4.      I have loads of them, so they are convenient clothing option for me.

So this month is Frocktober, and I will be wearing a different dress every day and adding to this blog with pictures and descriptions of their significance to me. Note I am a sentimental weirdo, and EVERYTHING has some kind of significance to me. This includes my favourite purple cup recently broken by my flat-mate. I have since vowed to never again become emotionally attached to crockery.

So this might not be interesting, but it’s what’s happening. I’m aiming to raise $1000 for ovarian cancer research so if you’d like to sponsor me that would be great, and you can do that at http://www.everydayhero.com.au_kathrynkelly/. More Frocktober info at http://www.frocktober.org/.

If you’d like me to a wear purple one-sy clown-suit for a month that would cost you more. But I wouldn’t be opposed. What have you got to say about my style now, Anonymous Sister?




No comments:

Post a Comment