Monday 26 September 2011

Stolen Optimism.

Last week I lost my laptop.


And when I say ‘lost my laptop’, I mean that I left it on top of my car. And then drove off.  And then it fell off the roof of my car. And then I drove over it.  And then I couldn’t find it.

But my faith in the human race (which had been diminished by my own ridiculous behavior) was soon boosted again when the laptop was returned to a nearby police station.

Then yesterday, while trying to connect to the internet on my new tiny-laptop (which replaced broken laptop-original), I found out that there was no longer a SIM card in my internet connector thingy.  Yes, the internet connector thingy SIM card was missing. Gone. Stolen.

I should point out that even though it’s not the first time I’ve had something stolen, I have a relatively persistent optimism regarding us humans (my own brain-failings make for one obvious exception).  I even once had my groceries stolen from the back-seat of my car while at the video shop.

When the groceries were taken, my theory was that someone who was really hungry was probably now happily eating my Crunchola, with their Crunchola deprived family, with big Crunchola smiles, and thinking that they’d have thanked me if they hadn’t had to ‘rush off’.

This time it’s different though... I tried on a couple of theories, like ‘maybe they are building an environmentally-sustainable house for homeless youths entirely out of SIM cards’. But that didn’t seem to cut it.

The best I can come up with is that maybe they accidentally left my SIM card on top of their car and drove off. And then drove over it. And they would have given it back, but they couldn’t find it.

No comments:

Post a Comment