Thursday 2 February 2012

It was either this or blogging about sandwiches.


I know that I should probably get a job soon when I start doing things that bored people do.  Like dying my hair. And considering getting a nose ring. And wondering whether I could get the same tattoo as Scarlett Johansson without regretting it.
 It’s not like I don’t have better things I could be doing with my time. I’ve got plenty do; volunteering, songwriting, job searching. Loads. But I’ve noticed lately that the part of my psyche that wants a quick-fix of success is starting to kick in.
 I think this is because I'm not giving it enough attention. When I had a job, it was the part of my brain that I took shopping, and to the movies. Now, without the cash, it’s bored and in need of fast entertainment. 
As far as I can tell there are loads of ways to entertain oneself, that don’t require cash, or self mutilation. One easy answer to this is social media, which I think is kind of upsetting (Whatever, I know blogging is social media).
 For the purpose of this post I will discuss facebook. I get that facebook is great. It’s really great. It helps me invite people to gigs, I get invited to parties, and I can get good deals on stuff like moving vans, through enquiring generally to my 250 closest friends. In a matter of moments I can know which of my friends are engaged, eating sandwiches, watching the tennis, preparing for a mountain bike ride or eating sandwiches. Awesome.
 From experience, I also know that facebook is where time goes to die. The border-er (?) you are, the more you check facebook. The more you check facebook, the more you update your status. The more you update your status the more you check facebook in case someone comments on your awesome status (i.e. Kathryn Kelly is eating a sandwich). And the more people comment on your awesome status, the more  that you think you are some kind of status-updating-queen. And the more you believe that you are a status-updating-queen, the more you should DEFINITELY FIND SOME WAY TO GET OFF THIS THING BECAUSE YOU ARE TRAPPED TRAPPED TRAPPED.
But I guess my only real problem that I really have with facebook is that I’m totally addicted to it. I hate it but I love it. And I’m not sure what the solution is.
 I could quit, but then I’d have to start blogging about sandwiches.

The dying-hair thing turned out to be serious (see photo, left-aligned).

No comments:

Post a Comment