Thursday 9 February 2012

Being Awake at 3am (not on purpose)

Lately I have been experiencing a large number of sleepless nights, for no obvious reason. Here is my list of ‘pros’ and ‘cons’ associated with being awake at 3am (not on purpose).

Pros associated with being awake at 3am (not on purpose).

ü     I have more time for thinking.
ü     I have more time to read the second Harry Potter (again).
ü     As Liv Tyler says in Empire Records, “There are 24 usable hours in every day”. The movie also suggests I bake cupcakes instead of sleeping, which sounds like a delicious solution to my problem.
ü     I could count sheep if I wanted to. Just imagine how many I could count.
ü     I have more time to watch Season 3 of The West Wing.
ü     Sleeplessness adds a sense of purpose to any and all sooking that takes place the following day.
ü     Sleeplessness gives me a reason to wear make-up (to cover any bags that have taken residence under my eyes while I wasn’t sleeping – possibly while I was watching The West Wing).

Cons associated with being awake at 3am (not on purpose).

Ë   Everything seems like the worst at 3am. Definitely not the time for productive thinking.
Ë   I’d forgotten that the second Harry Potter is kind of boring. (i.e. no signs yet of possible Ron/Hermione romance.)
Ë   Hours are only usable if they are between 7am and 11pm. Before/after that they become, at most, cupcake eating time. (I also think Liv’s character’s efficient sleeplessness was drug induced and I’m not into that).
Ë   I don’t want to count sheep because that’s really boring.
Ë   Watching Season 3 of The West Wing has been found to be counter-productive. In the past this activity has resulted in 1) Me becoming so sleepy that I miss the dialogue, or 2) Me becoming so over-stimulated that rather than sleeping, for the next three hours I lie awake considering the drama, romance and comedy of the American political system.
Ë   The previous days’ sooking probably will act as a give-away that sleeplessness is not the only possible reason for me to sooking.
Ë   I have no skill in make-up - certainly not enough to be able to pretend I’m not sleepy (but maybe enough to look like a reverse panda).

Maybe tonight I’ll start on the third Harry Potter… I remember that one being better. 


Cupcakes my sister's flatmate made for Australia Day (possibly she lives with Liv Tyler).

No comments:

Post a Comment